Monday, November 03, 2014
I said I would attempt something but it wasn't going to look like his image. I started on an idea
that i ended up scrapping pretty quick. I looked on pinterest for some mask-making hints.
I got a text on thurs that he got his dates wrong and I had another week. OK, game on.
I bought a cheap plastic mask to use as my base and used some air-dry clay to form my mask
that i would paper mache over.
Once happy with the image I let the clay dry overnight. I started layering good old fashioned glue/newspaper paper mache to build my face. When I got it to look like I wanted, I let that dry too.
Now comes the fun part-painting and embellishing. I gave it a base coat in white then added my
other colors for a worn leather kind of look. I sewed over the eye and mouth openings, added buttons
over the mouth and a rusty safety pin through a "scar." I sewed heavy cotton fabric around the mask
so it could be worn more like a hood. Blood red paint was added to the scars/cuts and a few other
spots to highlight. All in all, he was a happy camper when I took it to him. He said he had several offers
from people to buy it from him..guess i know how to pick up a few extra bucks next year. :)